Difference between revisions of "Marcel Dinger - Profile"
(→Awards and Honours)
|Line 191:||Line 191:|
*2016 - Fellow of the Faculty of Science (Research), Royal Society of Pathologists of Australasia
*2016 - Fellow of the Faculty of Science (Research), Royal Society of Pathologists of Australasia
*2010 - NHMRC Career Development Award Level 1
*2010 - NHMRC Career Development Award Level 1
*2009 - Queensland Government Smart Futures Fellowship
*2009 - Queensland Government Smart Futures Fellowship
*2005 - Foundation of Research, Science and Technology New Zealand Postdoctoral Fellowship
*2005 - Foundation of Research, Science and Technology New Zealand Postdoctoral Fellowship
*1999 - University of Waikato PhD Scholarship
*1999 - University of Waikato PhD Scholarship
Revision as of 01:09, 1 July 2019
Marcel Dinger is Professor and Head of School for Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences at UNSW Sydney. He has more than 20 years experience in genomics as both an academic and entrepreneur. He has published more than >120 papers that have collectively been cited >15,000 times and is (co)-founder of four startups in biotechnology and IT.
Prior to his role at UNSW, Marcel was the Founding Chief Executive Officer of Genome.One, one of the first companies in the world to provide clinical whole genome sequencing services, and inaugural Head of the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG) at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research from 2012-2018. As CEO of Genome.One, he brought together his expertise in informatics, biology and business to manage and direct a world-class clinical genomics service. As Head of KCCG, Marcel led a translational research laboratory that aimed to realise the utility of genomic medicine in routine clinical practice and explore the clinical value of non-protein-coding regions of the genome.
In 2011, Marcel headed the Cancer Transcriptomics laboratory at the Diamantina Institute at the University of Queensland. Marcel undertook his postdoctoral studies at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience where he studied the role of long noncoding RNAs in mammalian development and disease. During his postdoc, Marcel led a number of key studies demonstrating the dynamic and specific expression of long noncoding RNAs that prompted extensive functional studies of these transcripts that were commonly assumed to be “junk”.
Marcel has worked in informatics and genomics since 1998 in both commercial and academic capacities. As an entrepreneur in the early 2000s, Marcel established and grew three highly-profitable businesses; (i) a software company that produced DNA sequence analysis software, (ii) an information company that licensed databases to 10,000s of libraries and (iii) a web hosting company that became the fastest growing in New Zealand. He is the recent co-founder of a new precision healthcare start-up, Pryzm Health.
Marcel was awarded his PhD in 2003 from the University of Waikato in New Zealand. In 2016, he was admitted as a Fellow of the Faculty of Science of the Royal Society of Pathologists of Australasia (RCPA) by Research. He is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
About Pryzm Health
Pryzm Health is a digital health company focused on identifying and accelerating patient diagnosis, particularly of rare and inherited diseases. Pryzm fulfils its mission by developing secure and clinically-compliant software to support phenotyping and phenotype analysis to serve patients and the healthcare industry.
Genome.One is a pioneering health information company providing genetic answers to life's biggest health questions through clinical whole genome sequencing and analysis. We enhance the lives of patients, families and communities across the world through a portfolio of services and tools to enable precision healthcare. Genome.One provides clinically-accredited testing services for diagnosis of rare and inherited disease and for predisposition to disease and are developing a clinical-decision platform to enable contextually relevant interpretation of the genome at point-of-care.
About the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics
The Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics (KCCG) was established by the Garvan Institute of Medical Research in 2012 to advance the use of genomic information in patient care. KCCG was one of the first sites in the world to implement the HiSeq X Ten genome sequencing platform, which has capacity to sequence 18,000 whole human genomes per year. The aim of KCCG is to realise the clinical value of the genome to enable precision healthcare. Realisation of precision healthcare requires dramatic changes in how clinical and research domains interact and share information; KCCG is focused on creating disruptive change in this area.
Professional networks and profiles
- Ewans LJ, Colley A, Gaston-Massuet C, Gualtieri A, Cowley MJ, McCabe MJ, Anand D, Lachke S, Scietti L, Forneris F, Zhu Y, Ying K, Walsh C, Kirk EP, Miller D, Giunta C, Sillence D, Dinger M, Buckley M, Roscioli T (2019). Pathogenic variants in PLOD3 result in a Stickler syndrome-like connective tissue disorder with vascular complications. Journal of Medical Genetics Published online 25 May.
- Stark Z, Nisselle A, McClaren B, Lynch F, Best S, Long JC, Martyn M, Patel C, Schlapbach LJ, Barnett C, Theda C, Pinner J, Dinger ME, Lunke S, Gaff CL (2019). Attitudes of Australian health professionals towards rapid genomic testing in neonatal and paediatric intensive care. European Journal of Human Genetics Published online 31 May.
- McCabe MJ, Pinese M, Chan CL, Sheriff N, Thompson TJ, Grady J, Wong M, Gauthier MA, Puttick C, Gayevskiy V, Hajdu E, Wong SQ, Barrett W, Earls P, Lukeis R, Cheng YY, Lin RCY, Thomas DM, Watkins DN, Dinger ME, McCormack AI, Cowley MJ (2019). Genomic stratification and liquid biopsy in a rare adrenocortical carcinoma (ACC) case, with dual lung metastases. Cold Spring Harbor Molecular Case Studies 5:a003764.
- Palmer EE, Hong S, Al Zahrani F, Hashem MO, Aleisa FA, Ahmed HMJ, Kandula T, Macintosh R, Minoche AE, Puttick C, Gayevskiy V, Drew AP, Cowley MJ, Dinger ME, Rosenfeld JA, Xiao R, Cho MT, Yakubu SF, Henderson LB, Guillen Sacoto MJ, Begtrup A, Hamad M, Shinawi M, Andrews MV, Jones MC, Lindstrom K, Bristol RE, Kayani S, Snyder M, Villanueva MM, Schteinschnaider A, Faivre L, Thauvin C, Vitobello A, Roscioli T, Kirk EP, Bye A, Merzaban J, Jaremko Ł, Jaremko M, Sachdev RK, Alkuraya FS, Arold ST (2019). De novo variants disrupting the HX repeat motif of ATN1 cause a recognizable non-progressive neurocognitive syndrome. American Journal of Human Genetics 104:542-552.
- Hansen DP, Dinger ME, Hofmann O, Thorne N, Boughtwood TF (2019). Preparing Australia for genomic medicine: data, computing and digital health. Medical Journal of Australia 6:S30-S32.
- Currey N, Jahan Z, Caldon CE, Tran PN, Benthani F, De Lacavalerie P, Roden DL, Gloss BS, Campos C, Bean EG, Bullman A, Reibe-Pal S, Dinger ME, Febbraio MA, Clarke SJ, Dahlstrom JE, Kohonen-Corish MRJ (2019). Mouse model of 'Mutated in Colorectal Cancer' gene deletion reveals novel pathways in inflammation and cancer. Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology Published online March 1.
- Tousignant KD, Rockstroh A, Taherian Fard A, Lehman ML, Wang C, McPherson SJ, Philp LK, Bartonicek N, Dinger ME, Nelson CC, Sadowski MC (2019). Lipid uptake is an androgen-enhanced lipid supply pathway associated with prostate cancer disease progression and bone metastasis. Molecular Cancer Research Published online February 26.
- Dwarte T, Barlow-Stewart K, O'Shea R, Dinger ME, Terrill B (2018). Role and practice evolution for genetic counseling in the genomic era: The experience of Australian and UK genetics practitioners. Journal of Genetic Counseling Published online 15 December.
- Gayevskiy V, Roscioli T, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ (2019). Seave: a comprehensive web platform for storing and interrogating human genomic variation. Bioinformatics 35:122-125.
- Cowley MJ, Liu YC, Oliver KL, Carvill G, Myers CT, Gayevskiy V, Delatycki M, Vlaskamp DRM, Zhu Y, Mefford H, Buckley MF, Bahlo M, Scheffer IE, Dinger ME, Roscioli T (2018). Reanalysis and optimisation of bioinformatic pipelines is critical for mutation detection. Human Mutation Published online 17 December.
- Liu Y, Yu Y, Dinger ME, Li J (2018). Index suffix-prefix overlaps by (w, k)-minimizer to generate long contigs for reads compression. Bioinformatics Published online 8 November.
- Sweeney BA, Petrov AI, Burkov B, Finn RD, Bateman A, Szymanski M, Karlowski WM, Gorodkin J, Seemann SE, Cannone JJ, Gutell RR, Fey P, Basu S, Kay S, Cochrane G, Billis K, Emmert D, Marygold SJ, Huntley RP, Lovering RC, Frankish A, Chan PP, Lowe TM, Bruford E, Seal R, Vandesompele J, Volders PJ, Paraskevopoulou M, Ma L, Zhang Z, Griffiths-Jones S, Bujnicki JM, Boccaletto P, Blake JA, Bult CJ, Chen R, Zhao Y, Wood V, Rutherford K, Rivas E, Cole J, Laulederkind SJF, Shimoyama M, Gillespie ME, Orlic-Milacic M, Kalvari I, Nawrocki E, Engel SR, Cherry JM, Team S, Berardini TZ, Hatzigeorgiou A, Karagkouni D, Howe K, Davis P, Dinger M, He S, Yoshihama M, Kenmochi N, Stadler PF, Williams KP (2018). RNAcentral: a hub of information for non-coding RNA sequences. Nucleic Acids Research Published online 5 November.
- Lacaze P, Pinese M, Kaplan W, Stone A, Brion MJ, Woods RL, McNamara M, McNeil JJ, Dinger ME, Thomas DM (2018). The Medical Genome Reference Bank: a whole-genome data resource of 4000 healthy elderly individuals. Rationale and cohort design. European Journal of Human Genetics Published online 24 October.
- Zeraati M, Dinger ME, Christ D (2018). Selection of antibody fragments against structured DNA by phage display. Methods in Molecular Biology 1827:197-209.
- Kumar KR, Wali G, Davis RL, Mallawaarachchi AC, Palmer EE, Gayevskiy V, Minoche AE, Veivers D, Dinger ME, Mackay-Sim A, Cowley MJ, Sue CM (2018). Expanding the spectrum of PEX16 mutations and novel insights into disease mechanisms. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism Reports 16:46-51.
- Bagnall RD, Ingles J, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Ross SB, Minoche AE, Lal S, Turner C, Colley A, Rajagopalan S, Berman Y, Ronan A, Fatkin D, Semsarian C (2018). Whole genome sequencing improves outcomes of genetic testing in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American College Cardiology 72:419-429.
- Minoche AE, Horvat C, Johnson R, Gayevskiy V, Morton SU, Drew AP, Woo K, Statham AL, Lundie B, Bagnall RD, Ingles J, Semsarian C, Seidman JG, Seidman CE, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Fatkin D (2018). Genome sequencing as a first-line genetic test in familial dilated cardiomyopathy. Genetics in Medicine Published online 2 July.
- Lancaster GI, Langley KG, Berglund NA, Kammoun HL, Reibe S, Estevez E, Weir J, Mellett NA, Pernes G, Conway JRW, Lee MKS, Timpson P, Murphy AJ, Masters SL, Gerondakis S, Bartonicek N, Kaczorowski DC, Dinger ME, Meikle PJ, Bond PJ, Febbraio MA (2018). Evidence that TLR4 is not a receptor for saturated fatty acids but mediates lipid-induced inflammation by reprogramming macrophage metabolism. Cell Metabolism 27:1096-1110.
- Mattick JS, Dinger ME, Schonrock N, Cowley MJ (2018). Whole genome sequencing provides better diagnostic yield and future value than whole exome sequencing. Medical Journal of Australia Published online 9 April.
- Zeraati M, Langley DB, Schofield P, Moye AL, Rouet R, Hughes WE, Bryan TM, Dinger ME, Christ D (2018). I-motif DNA structures are formed in the nuclei of human cells. Nature Chemistry 10:631-637.
- Gloss BS, Dinger ME (2018). Realising the significance of noncoding functionality in clinical genomics. Experimental & Molecular Medicine 50:97.
- Ewans LJ, Schofield D, Shrestha R, Zhu Y, Gayevskiy V, Ying K, Walsh C, Lee E, Kirk EP, Colley A, Ellaway C, Turner A, Mowat D, Worgan L, Freckmann ML, Lipke M, Sachdev R, Miller D, Field M, Dinger ME, Buckley MF, Cowley MJ, Roscioli T (2018). Whole-exome sequencing reanalysis at 12 months boosts diagnosis and is cost-effective when applied early in Mendelian disorders. Genetics in Medicine. Published online 29 March.
- Gennarino VA, Palmer EE, McDonell LM, Wang L, Adamski CJ, Koire A, See L, Chen CA, Schaaf CP, Rosenfeld JA, Panzer JA, Moog U, Hao S, Bye A, Kirk EP, Stankiewicz P, Breman AM, McBride A, Kandula T, Dubbs HA, Macintosh R, Cardamone M, Zhu Y, Ying K, Dias KR, Cho MT, Henderson LB, Baskin B, Morris P, Tao J, Cowley MJ, Dinger ME, Roscioli T, Caluseriu O, Suchowersky O, Sachdev RK, Lichtarge O, Tang J, Boycott KM, Holder JL Jr., Zoghbi HY (2018). A mild PUM1 mutation is associated with adult-onset ataxia, whereas haploinsufficiency causes developmental delay and seizures. Cell 172:924-936.
- Deveson IW, Brunck ME, Blackburn J, Tseng E, Hon T, Clark TA, Clark MB, Crawford J, Dinger ME, Nielsen LK, Mattick JS, Mercer TR (2018). Universal alternative splicing of noncoding exons. Cell Systems 6:245-255.
- Palmer EE, Schofield D, Shrestha R, Kandula T, Macintosh R, Lawson JA, Andrews I, Sampaio H, Johnson AM, Farrar MA, Cardamone M, Mowat D, Elakis G, Lo W, Zhu Y, Ying K, Morris P, Tao J, Dias KR, Buckley M, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Roscioli T, Kirk EP, Bye A, Sachdev RK (2018). Integrating exome sequencing into a diagnostic pathway for epileptic encephalopathy: Evidence of clinical utility and cost effectiveness. Molecular Genetics and Genomic Medicine 6:186-199.
- David D, Anand D, Araújo C, Gloss B, Fino J, Dinger ME, Lindahl P, Pöyhönen M, Hannele L, Lavinha J (2018). Identification of OAF and PVRL1 as candidate genes for an ocular anomaly characterized by keratolenticular dysgenesis and ectopia lentis. Experimental Eye Research 168:161-170.
- Bartonicek N, Clark MB, Quek XC, Torpy J, Pritchard AL, Maag JL, Gloss BS, Crawford J, Taft RJ, Hayward NK, Montgomery GW, Mattick JS, Mercer TR, Dinger ME (2017). Intergenic disease-associated regions are abundant in novel transcripts. Genome Biology 18:241.
- Signal B, Gloss BS, Dinger ME, Mercer TR (2017). Machine learning annotation of human branchpoints. Bioinformatics 34:920-927.
- Baynam G, Bowman F, Lister K, Walker CE, Pachter N, Goldblatt J, Boycott KM, Gahl WA, Kosaki K, Adachi T, Ishii K, Mahede T, McKenzie F, Townshend S, Slee J, Kiraly-Borri C, Vasudevan A, Hawkins A, Broley S, Schofield L, Verhoef H, Groza T, Zankl A, Robinson PN, Haendel M, Brudno M, Mattick JS, Dinger ME, Roscioli T, Cowley MJ, Olry A, Hanauer M, Alkuraya FS, Taruscio D, Posada de la Paz M, Lochmüller H, Bushby K, Thompson R, Hedley V, Lasko P, Mina K, Beilby J, Tifft C, Davis M, Laing NG, Julkowska D, Le Cam Y, Terry SF, Kaufmann P, Eerola I, Norstedt I, Rath A, Suematsu M, Groft SC, Austin CP, Draghia-Akli R, Weeramanthri TS, Molster C, Dawkins HJS (2017). Improved diagnosis and care for rare diseases through implementation of precision public health framework. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 1031:55-94.
- Nash BM, Symes R, Goel H, Dinger ME, Bennetts B, Grigg JR, Jamieson RV (2017). NMNAT1 variants cause cone and cone-rod dystrophy. European Journal of Human Genetics 26:428-433.
- Gururaj S, Palmer EE, Sheehan1 GD, Kandula T, Macintosh R, Ying K, Morris P, Tao J, Dias K, Zhu Y, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Kirk EP, Roscioli T, Sachdev R, Duffey ME, Bye A, Bhattacharjee A (2017). A de novo mutation in the Sodium-Activated Potassium channel KCNT2 alters ion selectivity and causes epileptic encephalopathy. Cell Reports 21:926-933.
- Suan D, Kräutler NJ, Maag JLV, Butt D, Bourne K, Hermes JR, Avery DT, Young C, Statham A, Elliott M, Dinger ME, Basten A, Tangye SG and Brink R (2017). CCR6 defines memory B cell precursors in mouse and human germinal centers revealing light zone location and predominant low antigen affinity. Immunity 47:1142-1153.
- Hoang VLT, Tom LN, Quek XC, Tan JM, Payne EJ, Lin LL, Sinnya S, Raphael AP, Lambie D, Frazer IH, Dinger ME, Soyer HP, Prow TW (2017). RNA-seq reveals more consistent reference genes for gene expression studies in human non-melanoma skin cancers. PeerJ 5:e3631.
- Betts JA, Moradi Marjaneh M, Al-Ejeh F, Lim YC, Shi W, Sivakumaran H, Tropée R, Patch AM, Clark MB, Bartonicek N, Wiegmans AP, Hillman KM, Kaufmann S, Bain AL, Gloss BS, Crawford J, Kazakoff S, Wani S, Wen SW, Day B, Möller A, Cloonan N, Pearson J, Brown MA, Mercer TR, Waddell N, Khanna KK, Dray E, Dinger ME, Edwards SL, French JD (2017). Long Noncoding RNAs CUPID1 and CUPID2 Mediate Breast Cancer Risk at 11q13 by Modulating the Response to DNA Damage. American Journal of Human Genetics 101:255-266.
- Maag J, Fisher OM, Levert-Mignon AJ, Kaczorowski DC, Thomas ML, Hussey D, Watson D, Wettstein A, Bobryshev YV, Edwards M, Dinger ME, Lord RV (2017). Novel aberrations uncovered in Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma using whole transcriptome sequencing. Molecular Cancer Research 15:1558-1569.
- Khoo TK, Yu B, Smith JA, Clarke AJ, Luk PP, Selinger CI, Mahon KL, Kraitsek S, Palme C, Boyer MJ, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, O'Toole SA, Clark JR, Gupta R (2017). Somatic mutations in salivary duct carcinoma and potential therapeutic targets. Oncotarget 8:75893-75903.
- Gloss BS, Signal B, Cheetham SW, Gruhl F, Kaczorowski D, Perkins AC, Dinger ME (2017). High resolution temporal transcriptomics of mouse embryoid body development reveals complex expression dynamics of coding and noncoding loci. Scientific Reports 7:6731
- Everaert C, Luypaert M, Maag JLV, Cheng QX, Dinger ME, Hellemans J, Mestdagh P (2017). Benchmarking of RNA-sequencing analysis workflows using whole-transcriptome RT-qPCR expression data. Scientific Reports 7:1559.
- Baynam G, Broley S, Bauskis A, Pachter N, McKenzie F, Townshend S, Slee J, Kiraly-Borri C, Vasudevan A, Hawkins A, Schofield L, Helmholz P, Palmer R, Kung S, Walker CE, Molster C, Lewis B, Mina K, Beilby J, Pathak G, Poulton C, Groza T, Zankl A, Roscioli T, Dinger ME, Mattick JS, Gahl W, Groft S, Tifft C, Taruscio D, Lasko P, Kosaki K, Wilhelm H, Melegh B, Carapetis J, Jana S, Chaney G, Johns A, Owen PW, Daly F, Weeramanthri T, Dawkins H, Goldblatt J (2017). Initiating an undiagnosed diseases program in the Western Australian public health system. Orphanet J Rare Dis 12:83.
- Zeraati M, Moye AL, Wong JW, Perera D, Cowley MJ, Christ DU, Bryan TM, Dinger ME (2017). Cancer-associated noncoding mutations affect RNA G-quadruplex-mediated regulation of gene expression. Scientific Reports 7:708.
- Maag JL, Kaczorowski DC, Panja D, Peters TJ, Bramham CR, Wibrand K, Dinger ME (2017). Widespread promoter methylation of synaptic plasticity genes in long-term potentiation in the adult brain in vivo. BMC Genomics 18:250.
- Ewans LJ, Field M, Zhu Y, Turner G, Leffler M, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Buckley MF, Scheffer IE, Jackson MR, Roscioli T, Shoubridge C (2017). Gonadal mosaicism of a novel IQSEC2 variant causing female limited intellectual disability and epilepsy. Eur J Hum Genet. 25:763-767.
- De Sousa SM, McCabe MJ, Wu K, Roscioli T, Gayevskiy V, Brook K, Rawlings L, Scott HS, Thompson TJ, Earls P, Gill AJ, Cowley MJ, Dinger ME, McCormack AI (2017). Germline variants in familial pituitary tumour syndrome genes are common in young patients and families with additional endocrine tumours. European Journal of Endocrinology 176:635-644.
- Tang Y, Cheung BB, Atmadibrata B, Marshall GM, Dinger ME, Liu PY, Liu T (2017). The regulatory role of long noncoding RNAs in cancer. Cancer Letters 391:12-19.
- Barry G, Briggs JA, Hwang DW, Nayler SP, Fortuna PR, Jonkhout N, Dachet F, Maag JL, Mestdagh P, Singh EM, Avesson L, Kaczorowski DC, Ozturk E, Jones NC, Vetter I, Arriola-Martinez L, Hu J, Franco GR, Warn VM, Gong A, Dinger ME, Rigo F, Lipovich L, Morris MJ, O'Brien TJ, Lee DS, Loeb JA, Blackshaw S, Mattick JS, Wolvetang EJ (2017). The long non-coding RNA NEAT1 is responsive to neuronal activity and is associated with hyperexcitability states. Scientific Reports 7:40127.
- Liu PY, Sokolowski N, Guo ST, Siddiqi F, Atmadibrata B, Telfer TJ, Sun Y, Zhang L, Yu D, McCarroll J, Liu B, Yang RH, Guo XY, Tee AE, Itoh K, Wang J, Kavallaris M, Haber M, Norris MD, Cheung BB, Byrne JA, Ziegler DS, Marshall GM, Dinger ME, Codd R, Zhang XD, Liu T (2016). The BET bromodomain inhibitor exerts the most potent synergistic anticancer effects with quinone-containing compounds and anti-microtubule drugs. Oncotarget 7:79217-79232.
- Kumar KR, Wali GM, Kamate M, Wali G, Minoche AE, Puttick C, Pinese M, Gayevskiy V, Dinger ME, Roscioli T, Sue CM, Cowley MJ (2016). Defining the genetic basis of early onset hereditary spastic paraplegia using whole genome sequencing. Neurogenetics 17:265-270
- Powell JE, Fung JN, Shakhbazov K, Sapkota Y, Cloonan N, Hemani G, Hillman KM, Kaufmann S, Luong HT, Bowdler L, Painter JN, Holdsworth-Carson SJ, Visscher PM, Dinger ME, Healey M, Nyholt DR, French JD, Edwards SL, Rogers PA, Montgomery GW (2016). Endometriosis risk alleles at 1p36.12 act through inverse regulation of CDC42 and LINC00339. Human Molecular Genetics 25:5046–5058.
- Signal B, Gloss BS, Dinger ME (2016). Computational approaches for functional prediction and characterisation of long noncoding RNAs. Trends in Genetics 32:620-37.
- Bartonicek N, Maag JLV, Dinger ME (2016). Long noncoding RNAs in cancer: mechanisms of action and technological advancements. Molecular Cancer 15:43.
- Terrill BN, Dinger ME (2016). A user's guide to the human genome. O&G Magazine 18:18-21.
- Mallawaarachchi AC, Hort Y, Cowley MJ, McCabe MJ, Minoche A, Dinger ME, Shine J, Furlong TJ (2016). Whole-genome sequencing overcomes pseudogene homology to diagnose autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. European Journal of Human Genetics 24:1584-1590.
- Bussotti G, Leonardi T, Clark MB, Mercer TM, Crawford J, Malquori L, Notredame C, Dinger ME, Mattick JS, Enright AJ (2016). Improved definition of the mouse transcriptome via targeted RNA sequencing. Genome Research 26:705-716.
- Bell C, Amaral P, Kalsbeek A, Magor G, Gillinder K, Tangermann P, Di Lisio L, Cheetham S, Gruhl F, Frith J, Tallack M, Ru K, Crawford J, Mattick JS, Dinger ME, and Perkins AC (2016). The Evx1/Evx1as gene locus regulates anterior-posterior patterning during gastrulation. Scientific Reports 6:26657.
- Thomson DW, Dinger ME (2016). Endogenous microRNA sponges: evidence and controversy. Nature Reviews Genetics 17: 272–283.
- De Paoli-Iseppi R, Johansson PA, Menzies AM, Dias KR, Pupo GM, Kakavand H, Wilmott JS, Mann GJ, Hayward NK, Dinger ME, Long GV, Scolyer RA (2016). Comparison of whole-exome sequencing of matched fresh and formalin fixed paraffin embedded melanoma tumours: implications for clinical decision making. Pathology 48:261-6.
- Tee AE, Liu B, Song R, Li J, Pasquier E, Cheung BB, Jiang C, Marshall GM, Haber M, Norris MD, Fletcher JI, Dinger ME, Liu T (2016). The long noncoding RNA MALAT1 promotes tumor-driven angiogenesis by up-regulating pro-angiogenic gene expression. Oncotarget 7:8663-75.
- Zhao W, Mazar J, Lee B, Sawada J, Li JL, Shelley J, Govindarajan S, Towler D, Mattick JS, Komatsu M, Dinger ME, Perera RJ (2016). The long non-coding RNA SPRIGHTLY regulates cell proliferation in primary human melanocytes. J Invest Dermatol 136:819-28.
- McCabe MJ, Tarulli GA, Laven-Law G, Matthiesson KL, Meachem SJ, McLachlan RI, Dinger ME, Stanton PG (2016). Gonadotrophin suppression in men leads to a reduction in claudin-11 at the Sertoli cell tight junction. Human Reproduction 31:875-886.
- Merlevede J, Droin N, Qin T, Meldi K, Yoshida K, Morabito M, Chautard E, Auboeuf D, Fenaux P, Braun T, Itzykson R, de Botton S, Quesnel B, Commes T, Jourdan E, Vainchenker W, Bernard O, Pata-Merci N, Solier S, Gayevskiy V, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Selimoglu-Buet D, Meyer V, Artiguenavev F, Deleuze JF, Preudhomme C, Stratton MR, Alexandrov LB, Padron E, Ogawa S, Koscielny S, Figueroa M, Solary E (2016). Mutation allele burden remains unchanged in chronic myelomonocytic leukemia responding to hypomethylating agents. Nature Communications 7: 10767.
- McCabe MJ, Foo CFH, Dinger ME, Smooker PM, Stanton PG (2015). Claudin‐11 and occludin are major contributors to Sertoli cell tight junction function, in vitro. Asian Journal of Andrology 18:620-626.
- Tevz G, McGrath S, Demeter R, Magrini V, Jeet V, Rockstroh A, McPherson S, Lai J, Bartonicek N, An J, Batra J, Dinger ME, Lehman ML, Williams ED, Nelson CC (2015). Identification of a novel fusion transcript between human relaxin-1 (RLN1) and human relaxin-2 (RLN2) in prostate cancer. Mol Cell Endocrinol 420:159-68.
- Maag JLV, Panja D, Sporild I, Patil S, Kaczorowski DC, Bramham CR, Dinger ME, Wibrand K (2015). Dynamic expression of long noncoding RNAs and repeat elements in synaptic plasticity. Frontiers in Neuroscience 9:351.
- Gloss BS, Dinger ME (2015). The specificity of long noncoding RNA expression. Biochim Biophys Acta 1859:16-22.
- Palmer EE, Hayner J, Sachdev R, Cardamone M, Kandula T, Morris P, Dias KR, Tao J, Miller D, Zhu Y, Macintosh R, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, Buckley MF, Roscioli T, Bye A, Kilberg MS, Kirk EP (2015). Asparagine Synthetase Deficiency causes reduced proliferation of cells under conditions of limited asparagine. Mol Genet Metab 116:178-86.
- Clark MB, Mercer TR, Bussotti G, Leonardi T, Haynes KR, Crawford J, Lê Cao K, Brunck ME, Thomas GP, Taft RJ, Nielsen LK, Enright AJ, Mattick JS and Dinger ME (2015). Quantitative profiling of long noncoding RNAs with targeted RNA sequencing. Nature Methods 12:392-395.
- Rogers S, Gloss BS, Lee CS, Sergio CM, Dinger ME, Musgrove EA, Burgess A, Caldon CE (2015). Cyclin E2 is the predominant E-cyclin associated with NPAT in breast cancer cells. Cell Division 10:1.
- Mercer TR, Clark MB, Anderson S, Brunck ME, Crawford J, Taft RJ, Nielsen LK, Dinger ME, Mattick JS (2015). Genome-wide discovery of human splicing branchpoints. Genome Res 25:290-303.
- Quek XC, Thomson, DW, Maag, JL, Bartonicek N, Signal B, Clark MB, Gloss BS and Dinger ME (2015). lncRNAdb v2.0: expanding the reference database for functional long noncoding RNAs. Nucleic Acids Res 43:D168-D173
- Ulveling D, Dinger ME, Francastel C, Hubé F (2014). Identification of a dinucleotide signature that discriminates coding from non-coding long RNAs. Frontiers in Genetics 5:316.
- Aftab MN, Dinger ME, Perera RJ (2014). The role of microRNAs and long non-coding RNAs in the pathology, diagnosis, and management of melanoma. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 563:60-70.
- Bauer D, Gaff C, Dinger ME, Caramins M, Buske FA, Fenech M, Hansen D, Cobiac L (2014). Genomics and personalised whole-of-life healthcare. Trends in Molecular Medicine 20:479-486.
- Mazar J, Zhao W, Lee B, Shelley J, Govindarajan S, Yamamoto F, Ratnam M, Brill LM, Collins S, Finck BN, Han X, Mattick JS, Dinger ME, Perera RJ (2014). The functional characterization of long noncoding RNA SPRY4-IT1 in human melanoma cells. Oncotarget 5:8959-69.
- Liu PY, Erriquez D, Marshall GM, Tee AE, Polly P, Wong M, Liu B, Bell JL, Zhang XD, Milazzo G, Cheung, BB, Fox A, Swarbrick A, Hüttelmaier S, Kavallaris M, Perini G, Mattick JS, Dinger ME, Liu T (2014). Effects of a novel long noncoding RNA, lncUSMycN, on N-Myc expression and neuroblastoma progression. J Natl Cancer Inst 106: dju113.
- Mattick JS, Dziadek M, Terrill B, Kaplan W, Spigelman AD, Bowling F, Dinger ME (2014). The impact of genomics on the future of medicine and health. Medical Journal of Australia 201:17-20.
- Tee A, Ling D, Nelson C, Atmadibrata B, Dinger ME, Xu N, Mizukami T, Liu PY, Liu B, Cheung B, Pasquier E, Haber M, Norris MD, Suzuki T, Marshall GM, Liu T (2014). The histone demethylase JMJD1A induces cell migration and invasion by up-regulating the expression of the long noncoding RNA MALAT1. Oncotarget 5: 1793-804
- Mercer TR, Clark MB, Crawford J, Brunck ME, Gerhardt DJ, Taft RJ, Nielsen LK, Dinger ME, Mattick JS (2014). Targeted sequencing for gene discovery and quantification using RNA CaptureSeq. Nature Protocols 9: 989-1009.
- Vogelzang A, McGuire H, Liu SM, Gloss B, Mercado K, Earls P, Dinger ME, Batten M, Sprent, King C (2014). Interleukin-21 contributes to fatal inflammatory disease in the absence of FoxP3+ T regulatory cells. Journal of Immunology 192:1404-1414.
- Li JL, Mazer J, Zhong C, Faulkner GJ, Govindarajan SS, Zhang Z, Dinger ME, Meredith G, Adams C, Zhang S, Mattick JS, Ray A, Perera RJ (2013). Genome-wide assessment of methylated CpG island signatures in melanoma cell lines. Scientific Reports 3: 2962
- Mattick JS, Dinger ME (2013). The extent of functionality in the human genome. HUGO Journal 7: 2.
- Dave RK, Dinger ME, Andrew M, Askarian-Amiri M, Hume DA, Kellie S (2013). Regulated expression of PTPRJ/CD148 and an antisense long noncoding RNA in macrophages by proinflammatory stimuli. PLoS One 8: e68306.
- Cheetham S, Gruhl F, Mattick JS, Dinger ME. Long noncoding RNAs and the genetics of cancer (2013). Long noncoding RNAs and the genetics of cancer. Brit J Cancer 108: 2419-25.
- Amaral PP, Dinger ME, Mattick JS (2013). Regulatory RNAs in homeostasis, disease and stress responses: an evolutionary perspective. Brief Funct Genomic 12: 254-78.
- Marcellin E, Mercer TR, Licona-Cassani C, Palfreyman RW, Dinger ME, Steen JA, Mattick JS, Nielsen LK (2013). Saccharopolyspora erythraea's genome is organised in high-order transcriptional regions mediated by targeted degradation at the metabolic switch. BMC Genomics 14: 15.
- Gascoigne DK, Cheetham SW, Cattenoz PB, Clark MB, Amaral PP, Taft RJ, Wilhelm D, Dinger ME*, Mattick JS* (2012). Pinstripe: a suite of programs for integrating transcriptomic and proteomic datasets identifies novel proteins and improves differentiation of protein-coding and non-coding genes. Bioinformatics 28: 3042-50.
- Shore AN, Kabotyanski EB, Roarty K, Smith MA, Zhang Y, Creighton CJ, Dinger ME, Rosen JM (2012). Pregnancy-Induced Noncoding RNA (PINC) associates with Polycomb Repressive Complex 2 and regulates mammary epithelial differentiation. PLoS Genet 8: e1002840.
- Clark MB, Johnston RL, Inostroza-Ponta M, Fox AH, Fortini E, Moscato P, Dinger ME*, Mattick JS* (2012). Genome-wide analysis of long noncoding RNA stability. Genome Res 22: 885-898.
- Chen H, Palmer JS, Thiagarajan RD, Dinger ME, Lesieur E, Chiu H, Schulz A, Spiller C, Grimmond SM, Little MH, Koopman P, Wilhelm D (2012). Identification of novel markers of mouse fetal ovary development. PLoS One 7: e41683.
- Smart CE, Askarian-Amiri ME, Wronski A, Dinger ME, Crawford J, Ovchinnikov DA, Cristina-Vargas A, Reid L, Simpson PT, Song S, Wiesner C, French JD, Dave RK, de Silva L, Purdon A, Andrew M, Lakhani SR, Mattick JS, Brown MA, Kellie S (2012). Expression and function of the protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor J (PTPRJ) in normal mammary epithelial cells and breast tumors. PLoS One 7: e40742.
- Mercer TR, Gerhardt DJ, Dinger ME, Crawford J, Trapnell C, Jeddeloh JA, Mattick JS, Rinn, JL (2012). Targeted RNA sequencing reveals the deep complexity of the human transcriptome. Nat Biotech 30: 99-104
- Dinger ME (2011). lncRNAs: finding the forest among the trees? Mol Therapy 19: 2109-11.
- Bateman A, Agrawal S, Birney E, Bruford EA, Bujnicki JM, Cochrane G, Cole JR, Dinger ME, Enright AJ, Gardner PP, Gautheret D, Griffiths-Jones S, Harrow J, Herrero J, Holmes IH, Huang HD, Kelly KA, Kersey P, Kozomara A, Lowe TM, Marz M, Moxon S, Pruitt KD, Samuelsson T, Stadler PF, Vilella AJ, Vogel JH, Williams KP, Wright MW, Zwieb C (2011). RNAcentral: A vision for an international database of RNA sequences. RNA 17: 1941-6.
- Dinger ME, Gascoigne DK, Mattick JS (2011). The evolution of multifunctional RNAs. Biochimie. 93: 2013-8.
- Mercer TR, Neph S, Dinger ME, Crawford J, Smith MS, Shearwood A-MJ, Rackham O, Haugen E, Stamatoyannopoulos JA, Filopovska A, and Mattick JS (2011). The human mitochondrial transcriptome. Cell 146: 645-658.
- Clark MB, Amaral PP, Schlesinger FJ, Dinger ME, Taft RJ, Rinn JL, Ponting CP, Stadler PF, Morris KJ, Morillon A, Rozowsky JS, Gerstein M, Wahlestedt C, Hayashizaki Y, Carninci P, Gingeras TR, Mattick JS (2011). The reality of pervasive transcription. PLoS Biology 9: e1000625.
- Khaitan D*, Dinger ME*, Mazar J, Crawford J, Smith MA, Mattick JS, Perera RJ (2011). The melanoma-upregulated long noncoding RNA SPRY4-IT1 modulates apoptosis and invasion. Cancer Res 71: 3852-3862.
- Askarian-Amiri ME, Crawford J, French JD, Smart CE, Smith MA, Clark MB, Ru K, Mercer TR, Thompson ER, Lakhani SR, Vargas AC, Campbell IG, Brown MA, Dinger ME*, Mattick JS* (2011). SNORD-host RNA Zfas1 is a regulator of mammary development and a potential marker for breast cancer. RNA 17: 878-891.
- Bracken CP, Szubert JM, Mercer TR, Dinger ME, Thomson DW, Mattick JS, Michael MZ, Goodall GJ (2011). Global analysis of the mammalian RNA degradome reveals widespread miRNA-dependent and miRNA-independent endonucleolytic cleavage. Nucleic Acids Res 39: 5658-5668.
- Mercer TR, Wilhelm D, Dinger ME, Solda G, Korbie DJ, Glazov EA, Truong V, Schwenke M, Simons C, Matthaei KI, Saint R, Koopman P, Mattick JS (2010). Expression of distinct RNAs from 3’ untranslated regions. Nucleic Acids Res 39: 2393-2403.
- Amaral PP, Clark MB, Gascoigne DK, Dinger ME*, Mattick JS* (2010). lncRNAdb: a reference database for long noncoding RNAs. Nucleic Acids Res 39: D146-151.
- Mercer TR, Dinger ME, Bracken CP, Kolle G, Szubert JM, Korbie DJ, Askarian-Amiri, ME, Gardiner BB, Goodall GJ, Grimmond SM, Mattick JS (2010). Regulated post-transcriptional RNA cleavage diversifies the eukaryotic transcriptome. Genome Res 20: 1639-1650.
- Mazar J, Sinha S, Dinger ME, Mattick JS, Perera RJ (2010). Protein-coding and non-coding gene expression analysis in differentiating human keratinocytes using a three-dimensional epidermal equivalent. Mol Genet Genom 284: 1-9.
- Lai J, Lehman ML, Dinger ME, Hendy SC, Mercer TR, Seim I, Lawrence MG, Mattick JS, Clements JA, Nelson CC (2010). A variant of the KLK4 gene is expressed as a cis sense–antisense chimeric transcript in prostate cancer cells. RNA 16: 1156-66.
- Risueño A, Fontanillo C, Dinger ME, De Las Rivas J (2010). GATExplorer: Genomic and Transcriptomic Explorer; mapping expression probes to gene loci, transcripts, exons and ncRNAs. BMC Bioinformatics 11: 221.
- Mercer TR, Qureshi IA, Goken S, Dinger ME, Li G, Mattick JS, Mehler MF (2010). Long noncoding RNAs in neuronal-glial fate specification and oligodendrocyte lineage maturation. BMC Neuroscience 11: 14.
- Taft RJ, Pang KC, Mercer TR, Dinger ME, Mattick JS (2010). Non-coding RNAs: regulators of disease. J Pathol 220: 126-39.
- Dinger ME, Amaral PP, Mercer TR, Mattick JS (2009). Pervasive transcription of the eukaryotic genome: functional indices and conceptual implications. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic. 8: 407-23 Free access preprint (15 June 2009).
- Pang KC, Dinger ME, Mercer TR, Malquori L, Grimmond SM, Chan W, Mattick JS (2009). Genome-wide identification of long noncoding RNAs in CD8+ T cells. J Immunol. 182: 7738-7748.
- Mercer TR, Dinger ME, Mattick JS (2009). Long noncoding RNAs: insights into function. Nature Rev Genet. 10: 155-159.
- Sunwoo H, Dinger ME, Wilusz JE, Amaral PP, Mattick JS, Spector DL (2009). MEN ϵ/β nuclear retained non-coding RNAs are up-regulated upon muscle differentiation and are essential components of paraspeckles. Genome Res 19: 347-359.
- Mattick JS, Amaral PP, Dinger ME, Mercer TR, Mehler MF (2009). RNA control of epigenetic processes. Australian Biochemist 39: 4-8
- Dinger ME, Pang KC, Mercer TR, Crowe ML, Grimmond SM, Mattick JS (2009). NRED: a database of long noncoding RNA expression. Nucleic Acid Res 37: D122-6.
- Mattick JS, Amaral PP, Dinger ME, Mercer TR, Mehler MF (2009). RNA regulation of epigenetic processes. Bioessays. 31: 51-59.
- Mercer TR, Dinger ME, Mariani J, Kosik KS, Mehler MF, Mattick JS (2008). Noncoding RNAs in long-term memory formation. Neuroscientist. 14: 434-445.
- Dinger ME, Pang KC, Mercer TR, Mattick JS (2008). Differentiating protein-coding and noncoding RNA: challenges and ambiguities. PLoS Comp Biol 4: e1000176.
- Dinger ME, Amaral PP, Mercer TR, Pang KC, Bruce SJ, Gardiner BB, Askarian-Amiri ME, Ru K, Soldà G, Simons C, Sunkin SM, Crowe ML, Grimmond SM, Perkins AC, Mattick JS (2008). Long noncoding RNAs in mouse embryonic stem cell pluripotency and differentiation. Genome Res 18: 1433-1445.
- Amaral PP, Dinger ME, Mercer TR, Mattick JS (2008). The eukaryotic genome as an RNA machine. Science 319: 1787-1789.
- Dinger ME, Mercer TR, Mattick JS (2008). RNAs as extracellular signaling molecules. J Mol Endocrinol 40: 151-159.
- Mercer TR, Dinger ME, Sunkin SM, Mehler MF, Mattick JS (2008). Specific expression of long noncoding RNAs in the adult mouse brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 716-721.
- Pang, KC, Stephen, S, Dinger, ME, Engstrom, PG, Lenhard, B, Mattick, JS (2007). RNAdb 2.0--an expanded database of mammalian non-coding RNAs. Nucleic Acids Res 35: D178-182.
- Musgrave DR, Zhang X, Dinger ME (2002). Archaeal genome organization and stress responses: implications for the origin and evolution of cellular life. Astrobiology 2: 241-253.
- Dinger ME, Baillie GJ, Musgrave DR (2000). Growth phase-dependent expression and degradation of histones in the thermophilic archaeon Thermococcus zilligii. Mol Microbiol 36: 876-885.
- Dinger ME, Musgrave DR (2000). Identification of archaeal genes encoding a novel stationary phase-response protein. Biochim Biophys Acta 1490: 115-120.
- 2016 - GAICD, Australian Institute of Company Directors, Australia
- 2003 - PhD, Biochemistry, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- 1998 - MSc (Hons I), Biochemistry, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- 1996 - BSc, Biochemistry & Genetics, University of Waikato, New Zealand
Awards and Honours
- 2016 - Fellow of the Faculty of Science (Research), Royal Society of Pathologists of Australasia
- 2010 - NHMRC Career Development Award Level 1
- 2009 - Queensland Government Smart Futures Fellowship
- 2005 - Foundation of Research, Science and Technology New Zealand Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1999 - University of Waikato PhD Scholarship
- 1997 - University of Waikato Masters and Honours Awards